Torquay State School was originally opened on 21st January 1901 and was located at the corner of Barnstaple and Honiton Streets. It was a provisional school - meaning that it had less than 30 pupils and had been built on land owned by the parents. This school was closed and a new school erected on the present site, on the corner of Tavistock Street and Torquay Terrace in 1937.
Torquay State School is superbly positioned in one of the oldest beachside suburbs. Our student numbers at 560 are at a manageable total and our school ethos is based on good old fashioned basics. You will find however modern technology and the latest methods of teaching, but our principles remain the same.
HISTORY OF OUR SPORTING HOUSES
During 1989 the concept of using historically significant local names for our sporting houses was adopted.
DENMAN - The colour for this house is red. named after early settler and timber getter, cleared much of the land through Torquay and Scarness. The name was also given to the road which ran from the beach to Denman's Camp (logging camp).
HENDERSEN - The colour for this house is blue. Named after Donald Hendersen, a brother-in-law of hervey bay's first settlement, took up residence on the land where the school was located in 1880 and named it Torquay after his homeland in England.
MARTIN - The colour for this house is green. Named after hervey bay's first settler in 1863. A timber getter by trade, he landed by timber raft somewhere on the foreshore near Beach Road.
WATSON - The colour for this house is white. Named after the pioneer of Hervey bay's tourist industry having established the 'Sea View' guest house in 1869 in Pialba.